One challenge of a low carb and gluten-free diet is missing out on pasta. It’s such a comfort food. I’m not a big fan of penne or macaroni but love those long fettuccine, angel hair, and spaghetti pasta. I miss eating long noodles that absorb flavor of homey sauce. Zucchini noodles carry out all this.
The proportion in this recipe is perfect for a small dinner or appetizer. Double the quantity if it’s for a big meal. This recipe is easy to prepare, nice and clean yet very fulfilling. ( I usually don’t measure ingredients when I cook, so this is just an estimate. Any way of making your favorite carbonara would do.)
Prep time: 10 mins
Ingredients (1 serving for a light dinner)
1 zucchini, ribboned
half yellow onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 stripes of bacon
1 egg yolk
2 table-spoon of olive oil
1/8 cup heavy cream
parmesan cheese, shaved
salt and pepper
- In a saucepan, heat 1 table-spoon of olive oil on medium heat. Add onion, bacon and garlic.
- After they are brown nicely, add heavy cream and cook on medium high heat, Let it reduce for a few minutes.
- Put the pan off the heat. Toss in the zucchini, yolk, parmesan. Stir well. Season with salt and pepper.
I use the swissmar peeler to make zucchini noodles. A sharp peeler makes the job easy.
Vegetarian option: Sub bacon with mushroom
Dairy free option: use coconut cream instead of heavy cream and opt out parmesan cheese
QuoteBody not stiff, mind stiff -- Sri K Pattabhi Jois
Enjoy the blog and like to support?
- Kabocha Squash Recipes (Curry, Stir-fry and Roasted)
- Shopping Healthy on a Budget
- Zucchini Carbonara
- Paleo Coq au Vin
- Thai Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Shrimp Paste (Kapi) and Dried Shrimps (Kung Hang)
- Weekend Hike: Camelback Mountain, Scottsdale
- Bratwurst and Butternut Squash
- Marichyasana D
- Procrastination and shopping haul: Mika shorts
Take yoga outdoor
Surya Namaskara B- Mogollon Rim, AZ
Tagsalignment anusara anxiety Arizona ashtanga ashtanga yoga camping cauliflower commitment core exercise creativity detox education fashion haul fat loss fitness flower forearm balance goals hiking hip opening hips Inspiration intent inversion inversions juicing karma yoga knee knee pain let go local low-carb diet marichi D mindfulness oil paleo prayanama primary series recipe stress success teacher Thai food travel tree upper body exercise vinyasa krama weight loss Wisdom worry Yoga